Friday, January 28, 2011

Being Retro-Productive on my Sick Day

One way to start is to start at the beginning, right? What would be the beginning, anyway? One of my earliest artistic memories is making a pair of sandals out of paper and tape when I was about 4. That was the beginning of my dependence upon Making Stuff.

Another way to start is with the most recent, and then work backward. But I think today I'll start in the middle because I finally feel fully reborn from the The Years I Was a Shitty Asshole (my awkward, late-blooming, prolonged post-adolescence).

It's funny that the act of recording can itself be an act of purging. Today I looked through my old personal sketchbooks, where I had no rules and no qualms and no inhibitions. If I'm gonna start a new one, why not revisit good ol' sketchy memory lane? They remind me that time makes me my own stranger and best partner in commiseration. Not to mention it's always interesting to investigate one's previous approaches to applying things--->paper. Here are some pages I found particularly noteworthy for whatever reason:









1 comment: